Tofu is a great ingredient for smoothies. But you don’t really want to be cooking ingredients for smoothies, this defeats the purpose of a fast and effortless meal. The answer is to use tofu raw, but can you eat tofu raw?
Yes, as long as it has been pre-cooked then tofu can be eaten raw. Most of the tofu products you can buy are actually not raw. The soybeans used to produce tofu are cooked during the manufacturing process.
It is still a perishable food which means it can contain pathogens or microorganisms that can cause diseases. But it is known as a common food source that causes food poisoning.
It is the most common tofu and it’s the one sold at most grocery stores. It is available in four different texture densities. Can be used for smoothies, but silken tofu is better.
Can Block Tofu Be Eaten Raw?
Yes, just drain the excess water and it's ready to eat.
It is very similar to block tofu but it has a lot more moisture. It gets its name from its silky and smooth appearance.
Can Silken Tofu Be Eaten Raw?
Yes, as with block tofu just drain the excess water. It is the best tofu to use for smoothies.
Usually smoked by using tea leaves this is a much dryer tofu. Not a great choice for smoothies.
Can You Eat Smoke Tofu Raw?
Yes, smoked tofu is not really considered “raw”. Smoked tofu is great to eat straight out of the packaging. It makes a great snack for people on a vegan diet.
The Risks Of Eating Raw Tofu
- Tofu can be contaminated at the manufacturer it the equipment is unclean
- It can be a risk if it was handled by a worker with unwashed hands
- Tofu can also be contaminated if it is stored in water that is contaminated
How Can You Avoid Food Poising From Tofu?There are a few things you can do to minimize the risk of getting food poising from eating raw tofu.
- Always store tofu as it is directed on the package.
- Make sure you know where you need to store your tofu. Some tofu products can be stored on shelfs at room temperature until you opened it. It then needs to be kept in the refrigerator.
- Don’t keep open tofu outside of the fridge for a long time, bacteria love ambient temperatures
What Happens If You Eat Raw Tofu That Was Contaminated?When you eat raw tofu that is contaminated you have a change of developing food poisoning. You will get the common food poisoning sysmptoms like: