Yes, as long as it has been pre-cooked then tofu can be eaten raw. Most of the tofu products you can buy are actually not raw. The soybeans used to produce tofu are cooked during the manufacturing process.
It is still a perishable food which means it can contain pathogens or microorganisms that can cause diseases. But it is known as a common food source that causes food poisoning.
Different Types Of Tofu
- Can Block Tofu Be Eaten Raw?
- Can Silk Tofu Be Eaten Raw?
- Can Smoke Tofu Be Eaten Raw?
The Risk Of Eating Raw Tofu, How Can You Avoid Food Poisoning From Tofu?What Happens If You Eat Raw Tofu That Was Contaminated? Does Tofu Need To Be Cooked? The Final Verdict?
The Different Types of Tofu That Can Be Eaten Raw
It is the most common tofu and it’s the one sold at most grocery stores. It is available in four different texture densities. Can be used for smoothies, but silken tofu is better.
Can Block Tofu Be Eaten Raw?
Yes, just drain the excess water and it’s ready to eat.
It is very similar to block tofu but it has a lot more moisture. It gets its name from its silky and smooth appearance.
Can Silken Tofu Be Eaten Raw?
Yes, as with block tofu just drain the excess water. It is the best tofu to use for smoothies.
Usually smoked by using tea leaves this is a much dryer tofu. Not a great choice for smoothies.
Can You Eat Smoke Tofu Raw?
Yes, smoked tofu is not really considered “raw”. Smoked tofu is great to eat straight out of the packaging. It makes a great snack for people on a vegan diet.
The Risks Of Eating Raw Tofu
Even though it is safe to eat tofu raw, there are still some risks associated with eating raw tofu, like food poisoning.
- Tofu can be contaminated at the manufacturer it the equipment is unclean
- It can be a risk if it was handled by a worker with unwashed hands
- Tofu can also be contaminated if it is stored in water that is contaminated
How Can You Avoid Food Poising From Tofu?
There are a few things you can do to minimize the risk of getting food poising from eating raw tofu.
- Always store tofu as it is directed on the package.
- Make sure you know where you need to store your tofu. Some tofu products can be stored on shelfs at room temperature until you opened it. It then needs to be kept in the refrigerator.
- Don’t keep open tofu outside of the fridge for a long time, bacteria love ambient temperatures
What Happens If You Eat Raw Tofu That Was Contaminated?
When you eat raw tofu that is contaminated you have a change of developing food poisoning. You will get the common food poisoning sysmptoms like:
Food poising can be quite severe and in some cases lead to death. So if you think you’ve got it talk to a doctor as soon as possible.